Friday, December 31, 2010

Why I Hate New Years Resolutions

I think that it's great when someone decides to make a change for the better.

What I don't like is them waiting for a landmark event, such as New Years Day, in order to begin making those changes.

If you recognize that there is something about yourself that you want to change, CHANGE IT! Why wait?

In addition to that, making a change on a particular event or date during the year makes it easier for you to put it off until next year. Besides, whats one more year of smoking, drinking, partying, and being lazy? A lot. I saw a quote that struck a nerve with me: One year from now, you'll know why you started TODAY.

So do the rest of us people who actually want to change something a favor, and stay out of the gym unless you're going to stick with it for more than a month. I don't like waiting to use equipment for 20 minutes just so your fat ass can give up in 30 days anyway.

A lot of it has to do with self discipline. It is hard to say you're going to do something difficult and stick with it. Here are some tips that I randomly thought of in order to insure you stick with your goals.

1.) Tell your good friends and family about the goals you've set for yourself. Also, tell them to hold you to them. If they are true friends, they will want to make sure that you follow through with something that will make you a better person. For example, have someone go to the gym every day with you. This will make it so they will motivate you to go on days that you don't feel like it, and vice versa.

2.) Don't make New Years Resolutions, it's too easy to give up on them and wait until next year. Instead, set goals when they come to mind. Want to lose weight? Start as soon as you realize you want to. You will also feel gratification because you changed when you wanted, not when dictated by a holiday.

3.) Make sure that you have a clear goal or outcome. Set goals that you can achieve, not outrageous ones so you won't feel bad when you fail them. Instead of "I'm going to lose 20 pounds this year," It should be something along the lines of "I'm going to lose 3 pounds a month until I'm X weight, and maintain X weight."

Self improvement means nothing if you go back to your old ways when you've achieved your goal.

I've made no New Years Resolutions, not shall I.

No comments:

Post a Comment